Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mountain Born by Elizabeth Yates

This was read aloud to my 6 year-old.
This was a beautifully written story of a boy growing up in the mountains in a family where shepherding is their way of life. The author has a way with words and is very poetic in the descriptive writing. I enjoyed the reading, but did have to explain things to my 6 year-old, often. Great vocabulary lessons in this reading ( I even learned a new word, cosset, for pet lamb) . It had some sad parts, especially for a sensitive child, but they were handled with tact and led to some deep discussions with my child, which I thoroughly enjoyed. While we are never told the location of the mountains, the story takes us to a place where life is simpler and work is harder.
I recommend this book for a mature age 6 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment